Chocolate Fudge II
- 2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 2 squares chocolate
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 1 cup cream
- butter, size of egg
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Boil sugar, cream and chocolate until a ball is formed then pour in cold water.
- Add butter, nuts, toffee and marshmallows and stir until it begins to thicken.
- Pour in a well-greased pan; Cut into squares before it is entirely cold.
- soda water
- celery salt
- Take a plump, young duck; rub alcohol all over and then hold over the burner to singe; wash thoroughly with soda water; then boil in soda water or water in which there is a little onion for 10 minutes before stuffing; then rinse in clear water and wipe dry; stuff with dressing, to which has been added a little onion, sage, celery salt or bacon chopped fine; sprinkle with pepper and salt and dredge with flour; place pieces of bacon over it.
- Roast under the flame until tender, turning and basting frequently with the fried out fat
Bluefish Larded and Baked
- salt pork
- Clean a 4-pound bluefish, stuff and sew it up; cut gashes in fish and insert thin strips of bacon.
- Place on a greased fish sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, brush with melted butter and dredge with flour; place pieces of salt pork around it.
- Roast under the flame about 50 minutes, or until tender, basting frequently with dried out fat.
- In cooking fish, the oven should be slow heat after the first 15 minutes.
Apple Crumb Pie
- 6 tart apples
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- pastry, for 9” shell
- Pare apples and cut into thick slices.
- Mix half the sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle over apples.
- Put into unbaked pastry shell.
- Blend the flour, the remaining sugar and the butter and work into small crumbs, with your fingers.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the apples.
- Bake in hot oven (425f) for 10 minutes then reduce to moderate (350f) and bake for 35 minutes more.
- Serve with cheese.